Jump to navigation Jump to search
The history of BitCoin
- 2008-10-31 BitCoin White Paper released.
- 2009-01-03 Genesis Block mined.
- 2009-01-12 First Transaction sent from Satoshi Nakamoto to Hal Finney.
- 2010-05-22 Laszlo Hanyecz purchases 2 pizzas for 10,000 BTC.
- 2013-04-26 Dave Kleiman dies.
- 2013-10-02 Ross Ulbricht arrested. Closure of Silk Road soon follows.
- 2014-02-07 Mt Gox suspends trading, and shortly after is revealed to be insolvent.
- 2014-08-28 Hal Finney dies.
- 2015-12-08 Wired and Gizmodo publish articles revealing Dr. Craig S. Wright as Satoshi Nakamoto.
- 2016-01-04 Mike Hearn announces his departure from Bitcoin development, citing scaling gridlock and other issues.
- 2016-02-21 The Hong Kong Agreement (HKA) is announced. Large miners commit to running only Core-compatible implementations while SegWit is developed as a soft fork.
- 2016-05-02 Dr. Craig S. Wright publicly announces he created BitCoin. Gavin Andresen is stripped of his Bitcoin Core commit access.
- 2017-05-23 The New York Agreement (NYA)) is announced, the compromise being the activation of SegWit paired with a block size limit increase to 2MB (ie SegWit2X).
- 2017-08-01 With the activation of SegWit imminent Bitcoin ABC activates rules enabling on-chain scaling and adopts the BCH ticker. Most miners hold out for SegWit2X.
- 2017-08-23 BTC activates SegWit
- 2017-11-08 The SegWit2X implementation led by Jeff Garzik fails to activate.
- 2018-11-15 Bitcoin SV continues the on-chain scaling roadmap as Bitcoin ABC pushes consensus-changing rules. The blockchain assumes the ticker designation BSV.